I passed my driving test during a rainstorm

Jubilation!

Learning to drive can be scary at first as we all have to drive in our lifetime. Driving through roads, roundabouts and carriageways with the gear stick and handbrakes all the time. For me, it was difficult, and I moved to automatic after 6 months learning manual. Greatest decision of all time.

From there passed my theory test on my third attempt, barely. This was during the time when the UK was coming out of the first lockdown. But then, there was one final hurdle, the driving test.

My parents bought me a Corsa, typical car to start off with. But I personally liked it as it had automatic lights for night-time and a seat warmer. From then on, my dad gave me driving lessons as it saved money and his driving experience would inspire me.

My Corsa really did put the fun back into driving

Every lesson would go well, but then I would have the occasional errors of going in the wrong lane, trouble coping with hazards, people on bicycles, horses and many more. It is natural to make mistakes while driving, but when I made mistakes, it was daunting and made me panic.

Finally, my dad believed I was confident and ready to take the practical test. He helped book me in for one in July. However, it was in Redditch and the town is known for crazy roundabouts and confusing roads. For the whole month, I practiced all I can. And then the day came. Long story short, I failed because I tried to overtake a van on the dual carriageway. The lorry was cut off while I tried to go through the slip way. Ouch.

My second attempt was Worcester in the middle of August, hallelujah! Unfortunately, that was a failure too, for the strangest reason. There was a small roundabout with three lanes. I took the middle lane and cut off a van in the left lane. Well, maybe the third attempt is a charm.

The three lane roundabout that I failed on. Taken on Google Maps

October. Location, Worcester. Examiner tells me to go. I start driving and there it was, the three-lane roundabout. I take the left lane and my panic levels went down, until the heavy rain arrived, and my panic levels rocketed. It was as if Mother Nature wanted me to fail my driving test.

Mother Nature strikes again

My response, keep on driving safely around the city for 40 minutes and all will be great. But the rain was getting stronger and there was a stop sign near a junction. Luckily, I had my window wipers on in the front and back. If I had not put them on, game over. Not stopping at a stop sign is like wearing pyjamas or a Spiderman costume at a fancy restaurant.

The driving test was over, and we went back to the test centre. I honestly thought I was going to fail. And then he said the following sentence. “Well, I am safe to say that you have passed your driving test.” I asked if I could get out of the car for a minute and celebrated by pumping my fists in the air.

Finally, I had become a driver against all the odds. Matteo 1 – Mother Nature 0.

So, here’s something to take when doing a driving test in heavy rain. Keep calm, drive safe, stay on the right lane and be very cautious.


Comments